Mauritius, one of the most beautiful islands in the world, has introduced a Premium Travel Visa, valid for a period of one year, renewable, to welcome esteemed travellers seeking to prolong their feeling of wellness arising from the gorgeous turquoise blue sea with silky sand beaches, tropical lagoons, the lush greens, the warmth and friendliness of locals, all in a COVID-safe destination.
The experience of natural beauty and balanced lifestyle that could only be encountered on a rare holiday has now been made available under the Premium Travel Visa to any non-citizen who intends to stay in Mauritius for a maximum period of one year as a tourist, retiree or a professional willing to come with his/her family and carry out his business or work remotely from Mauritius.
To qualify for the Premium Visa, interested visitors should produce proof of their long stay plans and sufficient travel and health insurance for the initial period of stay while meeting the following criteria:
- the applicants should not enter the Mauritius Labour market;
- the main place of business and source of income and profits should be outside Mauritius;
- documentary evidence to support application such as purpose of visit, accommodation etc.; and
- other basic immigration requirements.
Easy steps to get your
The Premium Visa aims at encouraging foreign nationals to come for a long stay as a tourist, a retiree or a professional willing to come with his/her family and work remotely from Mauritius, in a COVID-safe destination.
It allows a non-citizen to stay in Mauritius for a period exceeding six (6) months up to one (1) year with an option to renew.
|Antigua and Barbuda||Congo (Brazzaville)||Guyana||Macau SAR||Romania||Sweden|
|Argentina||Democratic Rep. of Congo||Hong Kong||Malawi||Rwanda||Switzerland|
|Australia||Croatia||Hungary||Malaysia||Russian Federation (Russia)||Tanzania|
|Bahamas||Czech Republic (ex Czechoslovakia)||India||Malta||San Marino||Tonga|
|Bahrain||Denmark||Ireland||Mexico||Saudi Arabia||Trinidad & Tobago|
|Brazil||France||Kiribati||New Zealand||Solomon Islands||United Arab Emirates|
|Brunei Darussalam||Gabon||Korea (South Republic)||Norway||South Africa||United Kingdom|
|Bulgaria||Gambia||Kuwait||Oman||Spain||United States of America|
|Burundi||Georgia||Latvia||Papua New Guinea||St Kitts and Nevis||Vanuatu|
|Cape Verde||Ghana||Liechtenstein||Poland||St Vincent & Grenadines||Zambia|
The Premium Visa is valid for a period exceeding six months up to one year and is renewable.
A premium visa is required for those who intend to stay in Mauritius for a period exceeding 180 days in a calendar year. For those staying for less than180 days, a tourist visa is granted on arrival to Mauritius.
In order to qualify for the Premium Visa, the applicant must have proof of his/her long stay plans and sufficient travel and health insurance for the initial period of stay. The following criteria should also be met :-
- applicant should not enter the Mauritius labour market
- the main place of business and/or source of income and profits should be outside Mauritius
- documentary evidence to support application such as purpose of visit, accommodation etc. and
- other basic immigration requirements.
Application for the Premium Visa must be submitted online on the following link Apply for Premium Visa. It is a simple online process with no processing fee applicable.
Download our checklist here
Once you have finished completing the form, there is nothing left to do except to check your mailbox. The e-visa will be issued via email.
The Premium Visa is issued free of charge. There is no processing fee applicable.
- Mauritius is open to everyone, both vaccinated and unvaccinated.
- No testing is needed before flying to Mauritius
- No testing is needed on arrival
- Unvaccinated travellers no longer need to self-isolate on arrival
- You do not need to wear a face mask during your holiday. It is only recommended in airports, during airport transfers and on public transport, plus in all public and private healthcare facilities, including hospitals and pharmacies.
- There are no restrictions on the number of people travelling together.
A tourist visa is granted for a short period of leisure travel. Foreign nationals are granted tourist visa for a cumulative period of stay not exceeding 180 days in a calendar year.
Yes, you can apply for a Premium Visa during your stay in Mauritius.
A foreign national staying in Mauritius under a Premium Visa may apply for an Occupation Permit if he intends to work or invest in Mauritius or a Residence Permit as a retired non-citizen on the following link: https://edbmauritius.org/work-and-live-in-mauritius/ .
A foreign national may acquire a residential property developed under the Integrated Resort Scheme (IRS), Real Estate Scheme (RES), Property Development Scheme (PDS) or Smart City Scheme (SCS). The foreign national is also allowed to acquire an apartment located in a building of at least ground plus two floors.
- Mauritian-sourced income of a Premium Visa holder (e.g. emoluments for work performed remotely in Mauritius) will be taxed on a remittance basis. That money spent in Mauritius through the use of foreign credit or debit cards will not be deemed to have been remitted to Mauritius.
- The holder of a Premium Visa will be liable to pay income tax on money brought and deposited in a bank account in Mauritius. As an additional facility, such bank deposits will not be subject to income tax if a declaration is made to the effect that the required tax has been paid thereon in his country of origin or residence.
For any other questions or assistance, you may contact EDB office on +230 2033800 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applying for an Occupation Permit or a Residence Permit by Retirees on the National E-Licensing System (NELS) is free of charge. In addition, the Economic Development Board does not charge any fees for processing of applications for these permits. Only successful applicants are required to pay the statutory permit fees, as prescribed by law, to the Government of Mauritius.
Any other questions ?
You may contact EDB office on
+230 2033800 or send your query below: